Coming Soon to a Planet Near You

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Quickened by the Spirit

Today was a really great day at church. The preaching was really really good. The sermon was from 1 Peter 1:10-12. It's one of those passages that's easily overlooked and read through. Honestly, I've probably read it a few times in my life but quickly read over it and didn't digest it at all. On a side note, one of the best things about the Bible is that you can draw a different lesson or point from the same passage and it be completely in harmony with it's context. I don't know too many other books like that! :-)

What Peter is talking about here is the beauty and magnificence of salvation. See, the prophets from the Old Testament studied about and talked about a time when the Messiah would suffer something terrible and then follow it up with something wonderful and eternal. They didn't really understand, it didn't make sense.

We currently live in the Age of Grace. We are in that time period between Christ's Ascension and His return. This is the period of history where this new religion (Christianity) is growing because more and more are accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior. We are not bound by the old sacrificial system where we have to sacrifice pigeons, cows, etc., to God for attonement of our sin. What does that mean? Well, it means that there must be a payment for our sin. Our Holy God cannot tolerate sin and in order for us to have any fellowship (relationship) with God then our sin must be accounted for. This is the reason Jesus Christ left Heaven to come to earth and be sacrificed for our sin.

It's really tough to get a grip on that sometimes. It is so hard to fathom leaving what He did, coming down and submitting Himself to His own creation! Get this, the Creator allowed the created to beat, scourge, and crucify Him. Why? Well, it's because He loves us. We are His children who have turned their backs on Him. We have voted Him off the island. We don't want Him to have a relationship with us. Yet He still loves us!

We are truly blessed to be living during this age of grace. We know that the Lord is coming back soon. I for one cannot wait! I'm so excited about it. I do know one thing for sure. I am so sin filled that it's not even funny. I wish I was the man I know I should be. I wish I was "slow to anger" and that my life reflected what I know the Lord expects from me. I've failed Him in so many ways that I just don't know anymore. The only thing I have is that I know He still loves me and that I am forgiven for all time for the sins that I've committed. I can't wait for the day when I shed off this sin filled flesh and put on perfection. I look forward to having the strength to persevere and to worship my Lord in truth and grace for eternity.

There are so many today who simply don't see it. I'm thankful that God chose me. I'm thankful that He saw me in eternity and wanted me to be His child. I gladly accept Him as my God and I pray for my friends who do not know Him and who sin against Him. I pray that there is enough time for someone to get through to them. Salvation is a wonderful wonderful thing! You don't want to go to hell for eternity. Jesus talked more about hell than He did heaven. That's because He knew how many would reject him. It's a real place. Don't allow your pride or comfort level to send you to hell. It's an eternal punishment that you don't want any part of.

Your brother in Christ,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment